Saturday, August 15, 2009
These ramekins are marked “Orzel New Zealand” and have a matte underglaze with a trickle glaze effect. They have the gloss glaze reminiscent of Crown Lynn who took over Orzel.
Orzel pottery was produced by Cameron and Dorothy Brown who established their first small pottery in Waitakere, West Auckland in 1951. At first they called it Sherwood Pottery, and then, from around 1957, Titian Studio. They then moved the pottery to Henderson in 1958 and began experimenting with a wide range of decorative glazes for their wares. In 1965, they moved to Takanini. The Browns sold their company to Crown Lynn in 1967. They then set up another pottery, Orzel Industries in 1972 and created a number of decorative wares with a very nice trickle glaze effect. Their products look and feel very much like Crown Lynn but is less common.